What is Spiritual Direction?
“Spiritual Direction is the exploration of a person’s spiritual path with someone trained in listening, deep reflection and discernment.” – Teresa Blythe, Spiritual Direction 101, p. 2
“Spiritual direction – also called spiritual companionship – explores a deeper relationship with the spiritual aspect of being human. Simply put, spiritual direction is helping people tell their sacred stories everyday…..Spiritual direction helps us learn how to live in peace, with compassion, promoting justice, as humble servants of that which lies beyond all names.” – Liz Budd Ellmann, MDiv, former Executive Director, Spiritual Directors International
“Spiritual direction is the contemplative practice of helping another person or group to awaken to the mystery called God in all of life, and to respond to that discovery in a growing relationship of freedom and commitment.” – James Keegan, S.J., Roman Catholic, USA, on behalf of the 2005 Coordinating Council of Spiritual Directors International
Click here for more information on Spiritual Direction from Spiritual Directors International
Is Spiritual Direction for you?
- Do you feel as though you have always been seeking answers and understanding about spirituality?
- Are you a religious person who longs for more after leaving a weekly prayer group, congregational meeting, or service?
- Are you a person who once attended church regularly, but have drifted away because of past experiences with clergy and/or organized religion?
- Are you a member of a 12-Step recovery program who is looking for more depth in the area of your daily 11th Step practice?
- Are you interested in moving closer to Spirit (God, Higher Power, Creator, etc.)?
- Do you long to be more open to seeing, hearing and feeling Spirit in your life?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of the questions listed above, you may find spiritual direction to be of great benefit to you. Whether you already follow a spiritual practice or are looking for suggestions on how to become more spiritually grounded, spiritual direction will be a wonderful way to enhance your daily connection with Spirit.
Types of Spiritual Direction:
- Individual Spiritual Direction: a spiritual director meets with one directee to listen to their personal spiritual experiences (or lack thereof), and to offer a space for the directee to discover a deeper understanding of Spirit’s presence in the directee’s life.
- Group Spiritual Direction: a spiritual director (or group facilitator) meets with 3-6 group members to offer a space for open sharing and prayerful listening amongst members. There are many ways to facilitate a group, from one member sharing while others offer only noticings, to all group members sharing within the context of one session. Each group and its facilitator will determine the flow of their sessions.
I conduct individual and group sessions in person, and via Zoom and phone. To learn more or to book a session, please complete the form below: